Physician Associate Studies
View key dates, information, documentation and contact support for this programme.
If you have any queries or questions about the Physician Associate Studies programme or require placement related support, please contact a member of the programme support team.
Dr. Lara Menon
- Programme lead/Secondary care placements.
- Email: Lara.Menon@uwe.ac.uk
- Senior Lecturer/Primary care placements.
- Email: James5.Willis@uwe.ac.uk
- Health Placement Team Leader
- Tel: +44 (0)117 32 81153
- Email: Timothy.Porter@uwe.ac.uk
- Placement Coordinator
- Tel: +44 (0)117 32 82525
- Email: PPOallocations@uwe.ac.uk
Academic year 2022/23
Physician Associate placement dates for all cohorts are below.
Year 1 students (August 2022 intake):
- Primary Care 1: 24 October to 28 October 2022 (1 week total).
- Primary Care 2: 9 January to 3 February 2023 (4 weeks total).
- Secondary Care 1: 24 April to 19 May 2023 (4 weeks total).
- Primary Care 3: 5 June to 23 June 2023 (3 weeks total).
- Primary Care 4: 3 July to 22 July 2023 (3 weeks total).
Year 2 students (August 2021 intake):
- Secondary Care 1: 3 October to 16 December 2022 (11 weeks total).
- Secondary Care 2: 13 February to 31 March 2023 (7 weeks total).
- Primary Care 1: 24 April to 12 May 2023 (3 weeks total).
- Secondary Care 3: 22 May to 28 July 2023 (10 weeks total).
View programme information:
- MSc Physician Associate Studies programme overview
Physician Associate course dates (sorted by term) for all cohorts are below.
- Term 1: 22 August to 16 December 2022.
- Term 2: 2 January to 31 March 2023.
- Term 3: 17 April to 28 July 2023.
Other important dates
Please note: on these dates students may be expected to attend events which take place on campus for their learning and development.
- National PA Conference: Date TBC.
- Regional Student Conference, arranged by south west physician associate network (SWPAN): Date TBC.
- Assessment Dates (which potentially could be on days in placement): Assessment Dates 2022/23
- Major incident – Table Top Exercise 1: 25th of January 2023
- Major incident – simulation day 1: 1st of February 2023
- Public inquiry – court simulation day 1: 6th of 7th of February 2023
- Major incident – Table Top Exercise 2 : 15th of June 2023
- Major incident – simulation day 2: 22nd of June 2023
- Public inquiry – court simulation day 2: Date TBC.
ARC Placement Information
- Student login: UWE ARC POW (Placements on the Web)
- Placement provider login: UWE ARCPEP (Placement Environment Profile and Audit)
Student Learning Objectives
Whilst on placement, students will be expected to develop their knowledge and understanding of the medical and surgical specialties as outlined below. The minimum placement hours required to complete the placement is indicated in parenthesis.
Please follow the hyperlinks to find quick guide summaries of the specific placement requirements for each specialty:
- Primary Care/Community Medicine (510 Hours): Primary Care Learning Objectives
- General Hospital Medicine (350 Hours): General Medicine Learning Objectives
- Front Door Medicine, including Acute and Emergency Medicine and Critical Care (180 Hours): Emergency ('Front Door') Medicine Learning Objectives
- Surgery, including General and Specialties (90 Hours): General Surgery Learning Objectives
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology (90 Hours): Obstetrics and Gynaecology Learning Objectives
- Mental Health (90 Hours): Mental Health Learning Objectives
- Paediatrics (90 Hours): Paediatrics Learning Objectives
Whilst on placement students will be expected to adhere to the following guidance on appearance:
- UWE student Physician Associate name badge and either UWE-branded or Faculty of Physician Associates (FPA) branded lanyard.
- UWE branded ‘Caribbean blue’ scrubs. If these are unavailable, then students are permitted to wear trust/placement provider-approved scrubs, or smart professional attire (when working in primary care).
- Comfortable, clean, work appropriate footwear.
- Professional standards of personal hygiene are expected at all times.
Other important information
- This will be updated as the academic year progresses.
Supervision and assessment
Find out more about supporting, supervising and assessing students in practice.
You may also be interested in
Professional practice support contacts
Key contacts for professional practice placements at UWE Bristol.
Health professional development
Explore our range of professional short courses in health. Find out about funded opportunities, industry-specific courses and bespoke training.