Managing your UWE Bristol account
Your UWE Bristol username and password allows access to IT facilities across the University and online resources.
Your username and password will be sent to your personal email address. If you have not received these emails, contact an Information Point.
You can quickly and easily change your password yourself, once you have set up your Microsoft account and security info.
Passwords must be a minimum of 12 characters in length. We recommend using three random words. More information can be found via Passwords.
Changing your password will take immediate effect in Windows, MYUWE, Blackboard and most other UWE Bristol systems (except for college-specific passwords).
eduroam wifi users: don't forget, if you change your password you must also update your eduroam password on all mobile devices.
What you have access to
All students and staff are issued with a username and password that allows access to IT facilities across the University and online resources. These facilities include:
- student computers
- library account
- UWE Bristol email
- Pharos print system
- data storage spaces:
- 5TB OneDrive on the web (via UWE Bristol email)
- 1GB personal H: Drive storage
- eduroam wifi
- software for home use (including Microsoft Office and GitLab).
You may be issued with additional usernames and passwords by your college to access college developed resources. These credentials will be managed by the college and you will need to contact your local IT Service Desk for assistance in these cases.
UWE Bristol password
You can change your UWE Bristol password yourself, once you have set up your Microsoft account and security info. You can also use your Microsoft account to:
- change your password
- add, change, or delete your verification (MFA) methods
- change your default sign-in (MFA) method
- reinstall the Microsoft Authenticator app on a new device
- disable a device from your account (lost, stolen or changing personal devices).
You will need to set up and use your Microsoft account to allow you access to Microsoft 365 apps (which includes your UWE Bristol email account).
Important: If you forget your password and haven't added security info to your Microsoft account, you will need to contact the IT Service Desk to reset it.
Which username to use and when
Your college may have additional accounts to give you access to specific course-related facilities.
For example, the College of Arts, Technology and Environment (CATE) have accounts for Linux, MySQL, and Fabrication Credit.
All students have access to GitLab for version control.
How to access GitLab:
- Go to https://gitlab.uwe.ac.uk
- Select the myLogin tab.
- Log in using your UWE Bristol username and password.
Please enable two-factor authentication (2FA) for additional security:
- Go to https://gitlab.uwe.ac.uk
- On the top bar, in the top-right corner, select your avatar.
- Select Edit profile.
- Select Account.
- Select Enable two-factor authentication.
- Now follow the on screen instructions.
Troubleshooting: GitLab is a self-supporting system. For support and advice please refer to GitLab documentation or your lecturer.
Additional accounts for Computer Science students
Your UWE Bristol username and password also gives you access to the College of Arts, Technology and Environment Linux system.
MySQL and Oracle
Students will need to register for a MySQL or Oracle account, as these systems use College specific logins.
How to create a MySQL or Oracle account
- Access the Database Account Manager and select the database you want to manage (create, change password, delete).
- To create an account, click the 'create an account' button.
- Enter your UWE Bristol username and password, then click submit.
- If a screen appears stating that 'You already have an account', then choose 'Delete my existing account and create the new one'.
- Re-enter your UWE Bristol username and password to confirm, then click submit.
- A new MySQL or Oracle user ID and password will then be issued with the correct link to login.
More information can be found via Computer Science Support.