Your UWE Bristol username and password
Your UWE Bristol username and password allows access to IT facilities across the University and online resources.
Your username and password will be emailed to your personal email address. If you have not received these emails, contact an Information Point.
You can use the Self-Service Password Reset (SSPR) to reset your password, once you have set up an authentication method on your Microsoft security profile.
Please note: without setting up an authentication method to enable SSPR, you will need to contact the IT Service Desk to reset your password.
What you have access to
All students and staff are issued with a username and password that allows access to IT facilities across the University and online resources. These facilities include:
- student computers
- myUWE student portal
- UWE Bristol email
- Pharos print system
- data storage spaces
- 1GB personal H drive storage
- 1TB OneDrive for Business account (via UWE Bristol email)
- eduroam wifi
- software for home use (including Microsoft Office).
You may be issued with additional usernames and passwords by your faculty to access faculty developed resources. These credentials will be managed by the faculty and you will need to contact your local IT Service Desk for assistance in these cases.
Enabling Self-Service Password Reset
Your password will have been sent to your personal email address. If you have not received these emails contact an Information Point and they will be able to provide them, in person, via email, or over the telephone.
You can use the Self-Service Password Reset (SSPR) to reset your password, once you have set up an authentication method on your Microsoft security profile. : without setting up an authentication method to enable SSPR, you will need to contact the IT Service Desk to reset your password.
Changing your password will take immediate effect in Windows, myUWE portal, Blackboard and most other UWE Bristol systems (except for faculty specific passwords).
To use this service, you will need to register your mobile number via Security Profile.
Registering your mobile number will also allow you to enable multi-factor authentication (MFA). More information can be found on getting connected.
It's a good idea to add at least one alternative verification method in case you are unable to use your preferred option when required.
Changing your password
To change your password from any UWE Bristol PC:
- press Ctrl, Alt & Delete
- in the dialog window, select Change Password
- type in your current password
- select a new password.
To change your password from an external device:
- go to Security Profile
- select password from the navigation panel
- type your old password and then create and confirm your new password
- select Submit.
Eduroam users: Don't forget, when changing your password on your PC or laptop, you must also update your eduroam password on any mobile devices.
If you have forgotten your password
If you have forgotten your password:
- go to password.uwe
- enter your user ID (UWE Bristol email address)
- enter the security characters as shown on screen
- select a contact method for verification
- enter the verification code
- select a new password.
Don't forget that when you change your password on your PC or laptop, you must also change it on any of your mobile devices.
Additional accounts for FET students (Linux, MySQL and Oracle)
Linux (CSCT and EDM departments only)
Your UWE Bristol username and password also gives you access to the FET Linux system.
For further information on using Linux within FET, see the Linux FAQs.
MySQL and Oracle (CSCT and EDM departments only)
Please note: students will need to register for a MySQL or Oracle account, as these systems use Faculty specific logins.
How to create a MySQL or Oracle account
- Access the Database Account Manager and select the database you want to manage (create, change password, delete).
- To create an account, click the 'create an account' button.
- Enter your UWE Bristol username and password, then click submit.
- If a screen appears stating that 'You already have an account', then choose 'Delete my existing account and create the new one'.
- Re-enter your UWE Bristol username and password to confirm, then click submit.
- A new MySQL or Oracle user ID and password will then be issued with the correct link to login.
More information can be found via Computer Science Support.