Society and the motor vehicle
Understanding the ways society and the built environment have coevolved with the rise of mass private motor vehicle ownership.
This theme also seeks to promote a more sustainable future relationship through less car-dependent urban form, and a more efficient share of trips between the different types of transport.
For each project we provide key details and a summary. In most cases a two-page briefing sheet is available.
- Driving Hands - an Investigation of Factors Influencing the Resumption of Driving Following Immobilisation in a Below-Elbow Cast
- Alternatives to Personal Car Use for Mobile NHS Professionals
- Household car ownership decisions - understanding a transition point in travel behaviour
- Ex-car owners
- Students' car use and its effect on environmental attitudes
- A History of the Government Car Service
You may also be interested in
Research projects within the Centre for Transport and Society (CTS)
Eight strategic theme areas for research by the Centre for Transport and Society (CTS).
Understanding and influencing attitudes and behaviours
More about the 'understanding and influencing attitudes and behaviours' research theme in the Centre for Transport and Society.
Experience of the travel environment
The research theme 'experience of the travel environment' examines the impact of travel on quality of life, with a view to informing policy and practice.