Promoting inclusive, low carbon, active travel
Sustainable mobility is about reducing the environmental consequences of travel choices whilst also promoting greater equality of accessibility.
Walking and cycling, as very low environmental impact modes which also encourage a healthier population, are central to this theme. Collective mobility solutions including shared ownership and use of transport assets are also important. The theme seeks to understand the barriers to a greater role for these mobility options and to develop knowledge to support their development.
For each project we provide key details and a summary. In most cases a two-page briefing sheet is available.
- Making the case for investment in the walking environment
- Evaluating cycle mapping styles
- Applying the life course approach to walking and cycling
- Exploring poverty-transport linkages: mobility practices of the urban poor in Ahmedabad (India)
- Cycling Experiences: Exploring Social Influences and Gender Perspectives
- Express coach feasibility study
- ‘Student+Bike=Better Together’: Motivating cycling through positive experience
- The potential contribution of bike-rail integration to sustainable mobility in the South West
- Walking, cycling and socio-economic status in Scotland: an analysis of statistical data and rapid review of literature
- The treatment of social and distributional impacts in appraisal and evaluation
- Wider economic benefits of transport investments
- Rapid evidence assessment: distributional impacts of road pricing
- Making personalised travel planning work
- Local strategic partnerships, transport and accessibility planning
- Taxation futures for sustainable mobility
- Transport Visions Network conference
- Mobility disadvantage, access to training and employment, and wellbeing: the case of Lawrence Weston in Bristol
You may also be interested in
Research projects within the Centre for Transport and Society (CTS)
Eight strategic theme areas for research by the Centre for Transport and Society (CTS).
Understanding and influencing attitudes and behaviours
More about the 'understanding and influencing attitudes and behaviours' research theme in the Centre for Transport and Society.
Supporting and evaluating sustainable mobility strategies
Information about the research theme 'Supporting and evaluating sustainable mobility strategies' in the Centre for Transport and Society.
Technologies and travel
Information about the research theme 'Technologies and travel' and related research projects in the Centre for Transport.