Additional funding is available to students studying certain healthcare courses.
Additional funding is available for students studying the following healthcare courses:
- Nursing (Adult, Children’s, Learning Disabilities and Mental Health)
- Allied Health Professionals (Occupational Therapy, Paramedics, Physiotherapy, Radiography).
As UWE Bristol’s academic year is longer than 30 weeks each year, our healthcare students will receive an additional amount of maintenance loan each year. Depending on the course and year of study this could be approximately ten extra weeks, taking this total means-tested loan for living expenses up to £10,508 each year on average, or up to £8,657 each year on average if you live with your parents during your studies.
NHS Learning Support Fund
Pre-registration healthcare students who want to study a Nursing, Midwifery or Paramedic Science degree, and who are eligible for a maintenance and tuition fee loan from Student Finance, can receive additional non-means tested, non-repayable grants from the NHS. These include:
- NHS training grant of £5,000 (with up to an extra £2,000 for some students)
- parental support of £2,000 (for students with children under 15 or 17 if registered with special educational needs)
- travel and dual accommodation – a reimbursement of excess costs incurred on practice placement for travel and temporary accommodation costs
- a means-tested Exceptional Support Fund of up to £3,000 (for students in exceptional hardship, this is subject to eligibility and assessment).
Please note, this additional funding is not available to students doing the Health Professions Foundation programme during the foundation year.
Student Finance England funded students
If you already hold a HE qualification, or have previously studied at HE level, this will not prevent you from getting full funding to do a pre-registration Nursing, Midwifery or allied health professions course. You can get full funding to do one of these courses as a second degree.
This does not apply to students funded by Student Finance Wales – the rules on previous study outlined above and ELQ (Equivalent or Lower Qualification) will apply.