Selection for Audio and Music Technology
Select your course above to find out everything you need to know to prepare for your interview, and watch a short video about what we’re looking for, and view the facilities section to immerse yourself in our music technology spaces.
BSc Creative Music Technology
The interview will be with Dr Max Davies, Programme Leader for Creative Music Technology and should take around 20 minutes via Skype.
Should you become unable to attend the date you have accepted, you can request to move your audition to a different date by accessing 'Interview details' in the 'My applications' section of your UWE Welcome website. Please try to attend your confirmed slot as it may not be possible to make alternative arrangements for you. Non-attendance at interview without prior notice will result in your application being withdrawn.
The friendly conversation will comprise four parts, each designed to help us ascertain your musical interests and experience. To help you prepare for the interview, please read the following information carefully.
- Discussion around a small portfolio of compositions OR a short performance – preferably of one of your compositions.
- This component is an opportunity for you to demonstrate your musicality. If you wish to apply for the course primarily as a composer, please submit two contrasting pieces of your best original work. All genres of music are welcome. You can submit audio tracks, scores, or both - whatever best represents your work. During the interview, you will be asked about your musical influences, interests and approach to composition. Please email a link to your portfolio to Admissions@uwe.ac.uk with the subject 'Creative Music Technology portfolio'.
- If you wish to apply as a composer/performer, please prepare a 2-3 minute performance of one of your original works which represents your compositional voice and capabilities as a performing musician. We’ll also discuss your musical influences and interests. You can perform over Skype or pre-record your performance and upload this to your preferred online storage area and send a link to the same email address with the subject ‘Creative Music Technology performance'.
- If you don’t typically perform your own work, but want to showcase your performance abilities, then you can opt to submit a portfolio and performance.
- We’re interested in your whole musical practice and want to give you an opportunity to showcase it during the Skype meeting.
- Short listening exercise.
- A piece of music will be sent to you during the interview to listen to, and a conversation will follow around your observations.
- Notation-based exercise.
- This is not a test, but more to ascertain your experience with music notation, as one of the opportunities we provide on the course is working with and composing for instrumental players and singers. If you are out of practice, or have very little experience, don’t worry. Following on from this exercise we’ll be able to discuss a number of resources that may help with your learning.
- Course discussion.
- We will discuss the course, going through your understanding from what you’ve learned from the website and/or open days, giving you the opportunity to talk about your interest in the course. We’re interested in how, in your view, the course will allow you to diversify your skills within Creative Music Technology, and the various possible careers you are drawn to within the audio and music sector. There are no right or wrong answers – our motivation is to make sure that the course is right for you, and that you will thrive and develop.
After the interview
The outcome of your application will be available via UCAS Track and/or your UWE Welcome website which we will endeavour to update as soon as possible following your interview. Further contact If you have any queries regarding the interview please contact the Applicant Experience Team on +44 (0)117 32 83333 or by e-mailing Admissions@uwe.ac.uk.
Find out more about our facilities
Immerse yourself in our Music studio by viewing our 360° image below. Move between different rooms and spaces by using the arrows or menu bar on the top left, and use the controls or your cursor to explore the images. You can also expand to full screen using the icon on the bottom left of the images.