Film, TV, and radio
An extensive collection of films, documentaries, recorded theatre, and TV programmes, which can be watched online or borrowed free of charge.
TV and radio, on-demand
The Box of Broadcasts (BoB) service allows you to request recordings of upcoming TV and radio programmes and watch archived broadcasts online.
Please note that due to copyright restrictions, you need to be physically located in the UK to use BoB. You will also need to register when accessing for the first time.
- Status of BoB service - Information on the current status of the BoB service and scheduled maintenance.
- Linking to BoB programmes - You can link to BoB programmes from Microsoft Office or Blackboard.
DVD and Blu-ray recordings
Search for movies, documentaries, and training videos - on DVD and Blu-ray.
If you want to browse, movies, documentaries, and TV programmes are usually shelved in the 791 section. Headphones are available to borrow and study rooms are generally suitable for group viewings.
- Kanopy - Access to over 18,000 films, including blockbusters, documentaries, and the Criterion collection.
- News on Screen - Database of 180,000 cinemagazine & newsreel stories linked to production documents & films.
- Screenonline - British film and television from the BFI National Archive.
- Shakespeare on Film, Television and Radio - A database of Shakespeare-related film, television, radio and video recordings, dating from 1890 to the present day.
- This Week - This database provides programme information about This Week, the first ITV current affairs series.
- TRILT (Television and Radio Index for Teaching and Learning) - TRILT is an online database describing programmes broadcast on more than 300 UK television and radio channels since 1995.
Archives and other resources
- Films from the home front - A collection of unique moving images illustrating what life was like for ordinary people in Britain during the Second World War, as seen through amateur documentaries, newsreels, government films, and home movies.
- Screen Search - Archive of films arranged by theme, e.g. family life, commemoration, rural life, seaside, etc.