Research ethics policies, procedures and guidance
Policies, procedures and guidance for research ethical approval, including research with human tissue.
UWE Bristol Handbook of Research Ethics
UWE Bristol Handbook of Research Ethics (PDF)
These procedures apply to all staff (including Emeritus or visiting researchers) and students conducting or contributing to research which take place within the University or on projects managed by the University. They also apply to individuals who are not members of the University but who are engaged in such research activities involving University premises, facilities, students, or staff. UWE Bristol staff collaborating with, or on secondment to, other institutions should have a favourable ethical opinion from UWE Bristol or another appropriately constituted Research Ethics Committee (REC) (which would need to be ratified by UWE Bristol).
GDPR, consent and participant information
- Data Protection Standard for Research (PDF) - incorporating GDPR (staff login required).
Consent and GDPR templates
For staff and postgraduate research (PGR) students:
For undergraduate and postgraduate taught (Masters) students:
UWE Bristol internal resources for researchers
- Code of Good Research Conduct
- Information Security Toolkit
- Human tissue research and teaching
- Lone working (requires staff login)
- Qualtrics; see guidance on Online forms and survey tools (requires staff login)
- Research data management
- Research data security
- Research governance
- Research misconduct
- Research sponsorship (PDF)
- Risk assessment (requires staff login)
- Safeguarding - stay safe on- and off-campus
- Safety of social researchers (DOC)
- Security sensitive research (PDF)
- Social media research (PDF)
- Travelling on University business (requires staff login)
- Use of animals in research
- Association of Internet Researchers
Ethics guides produced by AoIR, an academic association committed to ensuring that research on and about the internet is conducted in an ethical manner.
- DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service)
This service helps employers make safer recruitment decisions and prevent unsuitable people from working with vulnerable groups, including children.
- ESRC Framework for Research Ethics
- NHS Health Research Authority (HRA)
- UK Data Archive
The UK's largest collection of social and economic data (acquisition, curation and access provider).
You may also be interested in
Research governance and policies
Our research governance, policies and standards frame the way we manage research to ensure research integrity is achieved.
UWE Bristol is committed to promoting high ethical standards in the conduct of research undertaken by its staff and students.
UWE Bristol Code of Good Research Conduct
UWE Bristol has set in place a Code of Good Research Conduct and a Policy on Good Research Conduct to promote good research practice, and prevent research misconduct.
Resources for researchers
Additional resources for researchers including information on export control legislation, human tissue research and research data management.