About the Centre for Floods, Communities and Resilience (CFCR)
The Centre for Floods, Communities and Resilience (CFCR) is an interdisciplinary centre focused on promoting resilient futures in changing contexts of flood risk and extreme weather.
This is delivered through an integrated portfolio of world-class research, knowledge exchange and co-generation, science communication, community engagement and training for decision makers at all levels. The Centre's work embraces and integrates local, national and international perspectives on community flood risk management.
We aim to:
- Undertake excellent research that has demonstrable impact beyond academia.
- Create synergies and innovations in interdisciplinary thinking about communities, floods and resilience.
- To exchange learning from flood risk research to other settings that build resilience to extreme weather (eg drought risk).
- Engage, exchange expertise, and empower, all stakeholders in flood risk management including communities, stakeholders from public, private, voluntary, and community sectors, and institutions to develop effective inter-agency responses to flood risk management.
- Work with, and for, our local communities at risk of flooding in Bristol and in the Severn catchment; and to cascade our research focus to communities engaged with flood risk issues in the UK and internationally.
- Explore novel and creative opportunities in flood risk management including new participatory methodologies so providing evidence for high to local-level policy and decision making.
- Act as a hub to promote multi-stakeholder discussion around strategy and practice.
The Centre works with a wide variety of key partners including communities, policy makers, expert practitioners, academics, learned institutions, research councils and organisations concerned with the development of sustainable and resilient communities, building on its extensive networks throughout the UK and internationally.
We welcome discussions and collaborations with communities, stakeholders and organisations/institutions with interests in floods and communities towards more resilient futures.
Centre for Floods, Communities and Resilience (CFCR)
The Centre focusses on a range of specific themes relating to flooding and extreme weather reflecting the diversity and interdisciplinary nature of issues concerning the development of resilient communities.
Research centres and groups
Browse UWE Bristol's portfolio of research areas, expertise, staff and publications.