Black History Month at the Library
Details of our planned activities for Black History Month.
We've collated resource collections of fiction, non-fiction, films, and documentaries about Black history and Black experience. Our lists have a mixture of digital and physical resources. Read and watch online or use our click and collect service to borrow physical items.
- Black British history and culture - including Windrush, Akala, Andrea Levy, David Olosoga, and Reni-Eddo Lodge.
- Global Majority - including the Civil Rights movement, Maya Angelou, Toni Morrison, and Alice Walker in the USA, and Apartheid, Nelson Mandela and Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie in Africa.
- Books and resources for creatives at City Campus.
- Poetry - immerse yourself in the words and thoughts of prominent Black poets.
- Children's books with BAME characters from our Education Resources Collection.
Our very popular book giveaway is back this year. Follow us on Instagram @uwelibrary to find out when we're giving books away.
Our titles for this year are:
- A Different Drummer by William Melvin Kelley
- Afropean by Johny Pitts
- Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- Black and British: a short essential history by David Olusoga
- Black, Listed: Black British Culture Explored by Jeffrey Boakye
- Black Tudors: The Untold Story by Miranda Kaufmann
- Girl, Woman, Other by Bernadine Evaristo
- I Can't Breathe: The Killing That Started a Movement
- Queenie by Candice Carty Williams
- The Shadow King by Maaza Mengiste
- We Need New Names by NoViolet Bukawayo
- Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People About Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge.
You'll need to 'like' the Instagram feed post with the book you want to win and tag two other UWE Bristol students. If you win, we'll ask you for your UWE Bristol student number (to verify you are a student) and your address so that we can post the book to you.