Annual report and financial statements for the last six years.
Financial report and key financial statistics for 2019/20
The University has successfully navigated a challenging year with solid performances in:
- UK undergraduate student recruitment
- enhancement of our academic partnerships in the UK and across the globe
- investing in our students' experience, academic endeavours and capital infrastructure, including people, systems and estate.
Despite the cost of COVID-19 impact of c£10m during the year, the financial results were positive with operating surplus of £2.1m, achieved with strong academic performance across the University and saving measures taken during the pandemic lockdown, before actuarial losses in respect of the local government pension scheme.
See the Annual Report and Financial Statement (PDF) for a full report on the impact of COVID-19 on the University’s business operations, financial strategy and sustainability.
Expenditure by type 2019/20 (£m)
Total expenditure for 2019/20 was £300.5m. The following pie chart indicates the University's expenditure by type during 2019/20 (see expenditure by type in text format).
Income and expenditure overview (text format)
- Academic and student experience - 55p in the pound
- Research grants and contacts - 3p in the pound
- Administration and central services - 16p in the pound
- Premises - 11p in the pound
- Residencies and catering - 7p in the pound
- Other income generating activities - 7p in the pound
- For investments in our future - 1p in the pound
Income by type 2019/20
- Tuition fees and education contracts - £222.3m
- Funding body grants - £23.5m
- Research grants and contracts - £15.4m
- Other income - £41.1m
- Investment income - £0.8m
Expenditure by type 2019/20
- Staff costs - £179.2m
- Other operating expenses - £89.4m
- Depreciation - £26.3m
- Interest and other finance costs - £5.6m
Financial reports and statements for previous years
- Report and Financial Statements Year Ended 31 July 2019 (PDF)
- Report and Financial Statements Year Ended 31 July 2018 (PDF)
- Report and Financial Statements Year Ended 31 July 2017 (PDF)
- Report and Financial Statements Year Ended 31 July 2016 (PDF)
- Report and Financial Statements Year Ended 31 July 2015 (PDF)
- Report and Financial Statements Year Ended 31 July 2014 (PDF)