Annual report and financial statements for the last six years.
Financial report and key financial statistics for 2021/22
As the country and the world learn to live with Covid-19, the University has reflected on its experiences and enhanced its operating processes by embracing a blended hybrid working environment where they best deliver the student experience. As a university community we are very proud of our part in fighting the pandemic, from making disinfectants to training NHS support workers, from the Nightingale Hospital to the Mass Vaccination Centre – these collaborations helped save lives and protect our NHS.
During the year to 31 July 2022, we worked to mitigate and manage rising fuel prices and other price increases due to supply chain issues. We also faced unprecedented staff recruitment challenges. However, student recruitment remained robust and we assessed that the University finances were strong, with good cash reserves and liquidity. This gives us confidence in embarking on the delivery of our Strategy 2030, continuing to invest in our future.
On final analysis, good cost control together with strong student recruitment numbers, have enabled the University to remain financially robust, delivering an operating surplus for the year of £9.9m.
See the full Annual Report and Financial Statement (PDF).
Expenditure by type 2021/22 (£m)
Total expenditure for 2021/22 was £368.7m. The following pie chart indicates the University's expenditure by type during 2021/22 (see expenditure by type in text format).
Income and expenditure overview (text format)
- Academic and student experience – 54p in the pound
- Research grants and contacts – 3p in the pound
- Administration and central services – 20p in the pound
- Premises – 13p in the pound
- Residencies and catering – 5p in the pound
- Other income generating activities – 3p in the pound
- For investments in our future – 2p in the pound
Income by type 2021/22
- Tuition fees and education contracts – £281.5m
- Funding body grants – £22.9m
- Research grants and contracts – £17.5m
- Other income – £54.8m
- Investment income – £0.9m
Expenditure by type 2021/22
- Staff costs – £208.2m
- Other operating expenses – £126.1m
- Depreciation – £28.9m
- Interest and other finance costs – £5.5m
Financial reports and statements for previous years
- Report and Financial Statements Year Ended 31 July 2021 (PDF)
- Report and Financial Statements Year Ended 31 July 2020 (PDF)
- Report and Financial Statements Year Ended 31 July 2019 (PDF)
- Report and Financial Statements Year Ended 31 July 2018 (PDF)
- Report and Financial Statements Year Ended 31 July 2017 (PDF)
- Report and Financial Statements Year Ended 31 July 2016 (PDF)