Annual report and financial statements for the last six years.
Financial report and key financial statistics for 2020/21
It is with huge gratitude to all staff and students that the University has successfully navigated another challenging year. Together, we have achieved an enormous amount, working extraordinarily hard to support each other, the community and our partners, through the pandemic.
Despite c£20m cost of Covid-19 during the year, which included waiving accommodation fees, providing digital access and hardship funds, the financial performance, including one-off grants, for the year was positive with operating surplus of £21.2m.
See the full Annual Report and Financial Statement (PDF).
Expenditure by type 2020/21 (£m)
Total expenditure for 2020/21 was £312.9m. The following pie chart indicates the University's expenditure by type during 2020/21 (see expenditure by type in text format).
Income and expenditure overview (text format)
- Academic and student experience - 52p in the pound
- Research grants and contacts - 2p in the pound
- Administration and central services - 15p in the pound
- Premises - 10p in the pound
- Residencies and catering - 6p in the pound
- Other income generating activities - 9p in the pound
- For investments in our future - 6p in the pound
Income by type 2020/21
- Tuition fees and education contracts - £248.3m
- Funding body grants - £27.3m
- Research grants and contracts - £15.4m
- Other income - £42.5m
- Investment income - £0.3m
Expenditure by type 2020/21
- Staff costs - £187.1m
- Other operating expenses - £93.5m
- Depreciation - £26.5m
- Interest and other finance costs - £5.8m
Financial reports and statements for previous years
- Report and Financial Statements Year Ended 31 July 2020 (PDF)
- Report and Financial Statements Year Ended 31 July 2019 (PDF)
- Report and Financial Statements Year Ended 31 July 2018 (PDF)
- Report and Financial Statements Year Ended 31 July 2017 (PDF)
- Report and Financial Statements Year Ended 31 July 2016 (PDF)
- Report and Financial Statements Year Ended 31 July 2015 (PDF)