Before you apply
- Find out what the options are for your course.
- Talk to your Programme Leader and Tutors and attend talks or information sessions relating to exchanges in your subject area. You could also contact students who’ve previously studied abroad or been to destinations you’re considering.
- Research the range of funding opportunities available for study abroad.
- Research your top three destinations. If your first choice is not available, we will do our best to offer your second or third choice.
Whilst great care is taken to ensure information on our existing exchange partners and options by course is kept up to date, exchange options may change or be withdrawn at any point due to circumstances beyond our control. Application deadlines are based on when the study abroad opportunity takes place during your degree.
When to apply for a study abroad opportunity
Applying to study abroad through Erasmus+ or another programme as part of your UWE Bristol degree is a competitive process as spaces are limited. Application deadlines are based on when the study abroad opportunity takes place during your degree.
Study abroad opportunity
When to apply
Sandwich placement year
Semester one of level two
Replacement semester one of replacement full year during level two
Semester one of level one
Replacement semester two in level two
Semester one of level two
How to apply
Applications for students from the School of Film and Journalism and the School of Art and Design looking to go on exchange have now closed. Information for Level 1 students in these schools on how to apply for exchange in spring semester 2023, will be available in summer 2022.
Applications for students from Frenchay Campus looking to go on exchange for a full year or a semester in September 2022 are now open! The application deadline is midday on Friday 17 December 2021.
Please apply using the form below.
The selection process
Student applications are ranked using the following criteria:
- Responses to the questions on the application form.
- Academic performance to date.
- Comments provided by an academic reference - you will be asked to provide the name of an academic who will be asked to provide an academic reference for you.
- Art and Design students should expect to share their portfolio work with their academic reference and with staff at the institution they are applying to.
After you have been selected
After you have been selected, we will send a 'nomination' to our partner university - this is the official notification that you will be applying to study there next semester/year.
You will need to:
- Apply to the university where you will be studying by following their online procedures or instructions shared with you by email. Specific procedures and deadlines can be found on an institution's placement profile. In many cases you will need to provide:
- A Transcript of Records - information on your module results to date. In most cases, this can be downloaded from MyUWE.
- A completed online or paper application form.
- A learning agreement - a list of modules you intend to study at the host university.
- For non-EU institutions - a visa application and information on your finances.
- Apply for university accommodation at the host institution or start researching private accommodation.
- Attend UWE Bristol pre-departure workshop.
- Ensure you have the correct immunisations for your trip and complete and return any documentation required by UWE Bristol or your host institution.
- Complete any necessary visa applications.