Filmmaking, Animation and Photography facilities
What's waiting for you?
Get skilled, practiced and inspired in one of the UK's hottest spots for animation, filmmaking and photography. Whether you're inspired by the BBC and Aardman, find facilities to match your creativity at UWE Bristol.
Take a tour of our Filmmaking, Animation and Photography facilities
Immerse yourself in our Filmmaking, Animation and Photography facilities by viewing our 360° images below. Move between different rooms and spaces by using the arrows or menu bar on the top left, and use the controls or your cursor to explore the images. You can also expand to full screen using the icon on the bottom left of the images.
The Film Studio
Our purpose-built £9 million Film Studios is where you can get your hands on industry standard production and post production facilities. Here, inspiring lecturers and instructors, and fantastic facilities are waiting for you.
- Industry-standard film and TV studio space with greenscreen
- A dubbing theatre, foley and audio recording rooms
- Edit suites - Final Cut Pro, Avid Media Composer, Adobe Premier
- Multiple, flexible studio spaces
- Sound and mixing suites
- A huge range of cameras, grips, lighting and audio equipment available for loan
Petra studied filmmaking at our City Campus
Petra provides a taste of City Campus life and what can be experienced as part of her course.City Campus
- Seven photography studios - including two with infinity cove and lighting rigs
- A studio for photographing 3D sets and digital image capturing
- Editing and output suites - including access to digital darkrooms, C41 colour film printers, and film scanners
- Dedicated digital suites - with Photoshop and Lightroom software, Inkjet printers and Mac computers
- Darkroom printing in black and white and colour (C-type)
- A copy stand facility for recording 2D artwork up to A1
Callum studied photography at our City Campus
Callum provides a taste of City Campus life and what can be experienced as part of his course.City Campus
- Traditional hand-drawn
- Dedicated stop-motion studios for making and filming
- 2D and CGI
- Digital compositing and post-production facilities and workshop activities
- animation facilities offering industry-standard software and hardware
That's just a taste - see more of what's waiting in the Animation Studios.
Collaboration with other creatives
- Digital design studios - comprehensive Mac resources at Bower Ashton, City Campus at Arnolfini and City Campus at Spike Island where you can use Adobe Creative Cloud, Microsoft Office and a range of specialist software.
- Fabrication spaces - access exciting equipment and processes to explore and use in your work, including casting (glass and hot metal), Model making, metal fabrication, laser cutting, clay and ceramics work, enamelling, plastic forming, wood area, CNC routers, 3D printers, 3D scanning equipment, tech lab (animatronics and creative tech, programming and bringing things to life)
- Art shop - The Art Shop at Bower Ashton Campus stocks a wide range of high-quality artist materials and products at excellent value for money.
- Central loans desk - based at Bower Ashton Campus, students can hire equipment from this well stocked loans desk.
- Student Project Coordinators - a dedicated personal service to help you get the right technical help and support to create your work.
Good to know: workshops with specialist technicians are available to help you make the most of all the fantastic kit.
In the library and on campus
- Bower Ashton is home to an inspiring creative and cultural industries library and student support services. There's a wealth of online resources available for film and wildlife filmmaking courses in our library.
- Find out about support with study and academic writing skills at Bower Ashton.
Filmmaking, Animation and Photography
Our courses include: Animation, Filmmaking, Photography, Wildlife Filmmaking and more.
Our Fashion courses include: Fashion Communication and Fashion Textiles Find out why you should study a Fashion degree at UWE Bristol.
Our Art courses include: Illustration, Fine Art and more. Find out why you should study an Art degree at UWE Bristol.
On our design courses, you'll work on live briefs, be inspired by study visits and benefit from our extensive industry links, both in buzzing Bristol and further afield.