JISC Historical Texts includes Early English Books Online (EEBO), Eighteenth Century Collections Online (ECCO) and The Nineteenth Century books from the British Library Collection databases.
Access the database
- Database is not included in the main library search
- Students and staff at UWE-BIC cannot use their UWE Bristol login to access this database
- Databases provided by UWE Bristol are for educational use only and should not be used for commercial corporate purposes or by unlicensed users
- Early English Books Online (EEBO) contains digital facsimile page images of virtually every work printed in England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales and British North America and works in English printed elsewhere from 1473-1700 - from the first book printed in English by William Caxton, through the age of Spenser and Shakespeare and the tumult of the English civil war.
- Eighteenth Century Collections Online (ECCO) includes works on literature, history, religion, law, the fine arts and science. Included are works from women writers of the eighteenth century; collections on the French revolution; and numerous editions of the works of Shakespeare. Multiple editions of each individual work are offered to enable scholars to make textual comparisons of the works. There are digital images of every page of nearly 200,000 titles published during the eighteenth century.
- The Nineteenth Century books from the British Library Collection contains digitised versions of more than 65,000 first editions from the 19th century, covering philosophy, history, poetry and literature. The collection extends to over 25 million pages of previously rare and inaccessible content, and includes the original typeface and illustrations for each book.