Packing for university

Useful items to pack and what to buy when you arrive.

Packing for university

Packing for university can be a bit of a daunting task, particularly if you’re leaving home for the first time. The trick is to not to bring too much and to remember that, if you forget something, you can always replace it here or get it sent on afterwards.

You’ll find a list of what’s in your room and communal areas on the page for your accommodation, but the following will provide an overview of things to take into consideration.

Why not take the hassle out of buying and transporting your bedding and kitchen items by pre-ordering from UniKitOut. Choose from a range of essential items which can be delivered directly to your accommodation ready for your arrival. UniKitOut packs are ideal for international students moving to the UK or students who may have to travel a long distance or are maybe travelling by public transport and are not able to bring much with them.

All you need to do is head to UniKitOut, select your items, select your accommodation (you will need to have this confirmed before you can order), advise when you are intending to arrive and then confirm and pay. Your order will be ready and waiting for you when you arrive leaving you to concentrate on settling in and meeting your fellow housemates.

Furthermore, save 10% on your order by adding a UWE10 discount code at checkout.

Alternatively, there are local retail outlets from where you can buy your items. These are within a short drive from both our Frenchay and Glenside campuses or a 10 minute walk from Frenchay and 20 minute walk from Glenside. We of course also have our City Centre retailers for those of you opting to live there. Please be aware of which retailers are available in the respective areas and their opening hours, especially on a Sunday when they will all close between 16:00 and 17:00.

What not to bring with you

There are some items we ask you not to bring to keep everyone safe. These are listed in your terms and conditions and include: 

  • airsoft guns
  • candles, electric/oil diffusers or incense burners
  • chip pans
  • extra furniture
  • fan heaters
  • fireworks
  • illegal substances
  • paddling pools
  • pets
  • replica weapons
  • your car – unless you live at Glenside Campus or the Hollies and have a valid parking permit.

What to buy as a group

If you're going to be sharing with other students, it can be good value – and be good fun – to club together and shop for 'house' items as a group. Why not take a look at UniKitOut for all your kitchen needs and more. These could either be delivered to your 'house' before you all arrive or if you'd prefer to decide once you've all moved in it can be with you shortly afterwards, plus save 10% with discount code UWE10.

That's things like:

  • pots and pans – a couple of frying pan and saucepans in different sizes
  • non-stick baking trays, colander and chopping boards
  • cleaning products – washing up liquid, scrubbing brushes, cleaning cloths, kitchen paper, pads, gloves, surface cleaners and bin liners
  • loo rolls – large packs are cheaper
  • cooking utensils – a tin opener, corkscrew, sieve, vegetable peeler, spatulas and kitchen knifes
  • foil, cling film and plastic food storage containers
  • an iron and a toaster – you won’t need to buy a kettle as there’ll be one in your kitchen.

Electrical appliances

If you’re bringing any electrical appliances, it’s important they:

  • conform to British standards
  • can be used with 240V electrical supply
  • come with a portable appliance test certificate if the item’s not brand new.

All electrical appliances bought from UniKitOut conform to British Standards.

We discourage using adaptors because they can cause a fire risk.

What to expect from your new room

Not sure what to expect from your room? If you’re moving in to the Student Village, take a look at this short room tour to let you know what to expect.

Discover accommodation

What to bring with you

You’ll need to bring some clothes and personal belongings, of course. You might like to bring a few choice items like photos as well, to make your room feel more like home.

It’s also a good idea to bring:

  • your bank account details and cash card
  • ID such as your passport or driving licence
  • your National Insurance Number if you want to look for a part-time job
  • bedding – sheets, pillows, pillowcases, duvet and duvet cover (or you could buy a bedding starter pack from UniKitOut and have it delivered to your room before you arrive. You can get 10% off with discount code UWE10).
  • towels
  • coat hangers
  • crockery – a couple of plates, bowls, mugs and glasses
  • cutlery
  • tea towels
  • toiletries – shampoo, conditioner, soap, shower gel etc (international students: please read advice from the UK government about restricted items)
  • basic food provisions until you do your first shop (international students: see the UK government guidance about bringing food into the UK).