Short-Term Loan Scheme
The Short-Term Loan Scheme is available to all students.
About the scheme
The Short-Term Loan Scheme is provided by the University to help students who find themselves with a temporary cash-flow problem during the academic year, including delayed funding. The loan is interest-free, and is due for repayment within 30 days of receipt.
If your loan is agreed we will lend an amount to cover your immediate essential living costs, for example £70 per week for a single student (this can be increased to cover other costs ie childcare/travel).
Please note that short-term loans are not issued during the summer vacation. Students experiencing serious hardship during this period should contact a Money Adviser.
Before you apply
Please note the following:
- Short-term loans are only available after the official start date of your course, and only if you have registered either provisionally or in full on your course.
- Loans are not normally given during the final two months of study at the University.
- Loans may not be offered if you already have an outstanding debt to the University, or if you have defaulted on a previous short-term loan.
- Loans are not offered to students who have other sources of funding available to them (including the use of bank funds to within £100 of any agreed limit, including overdrafts).
- Students will need to repay their loan within 30 days. If you are unable to repay during this period, please contact the Funds Team.
- Unless you have the means to repay the loan, your application will not be successful.
How to apply
You can apply from 2 September via the Short-Term Loan Scheme InfoHub form (login required).
You must complete the application in full. The application process requires that you complete a Blackbullion module. If you completed a module last academic year, you will need to complete a different module this year. We recommend the Budgeting module, but if you have completed this previously, please choose from: Starting University (new students only), 21 Days of Savings, Risk, Debt or Savings. Once you have completed the form, you will be required to submit your supporting evidence as soon as possible. Your application will not be considered until we have received your evidence and confirmed that you have passed the Blackbullion module.