Improving the post-decision planning process to deliver better places in the West of England
Full project title: Improving the post-decision planning process to deliver better places in the West of England
Duration: 1 January 2020-31 July 2020
Funder: West of England Combined Authority via LGA Housing Advisors Grant
Project Leader for SPE: Hannah Hickman
Other UWE Bristol researchers:
- Dr Katie McClymont
- Adam Sheppard
- Nick Croft
- Dr Hooman Foroughmand-Araabi
A challenge that the authorities in the West of England face is that the quality of schemes can reduce between the grant of planning permission and delivery on the ground. This research, commissioned by the West of England Combined Authority, on behalf of the four local authorities, is aimed at reviewing and improving the post-decision planning process in order to improve the quality of new housing development in the West of England.
The objectives of the project are to:
- undertake a comprehensive review of current practice in the West of England
- identify areas of strength and weakness in the post-planning process and learn from each other’s knowledge and experience
- establish a route map for the West of England Unitary Authorities to make improvements to the post-decision process and post-occupancy monitoring.
This research won the 2021 RTPI Sir Peter Hall Award for Research Excellence.
- Hickman, H; McClymont, K; and Sheppard, A (2021). Planners of the future: Expectations, motivations, and experiences: A snapshot from 2019-2020. Royal Town Planning Institute.
For further information on the project, please contact Hannah Hickman (Hannah.Hickman@uwe.ac.uk).
You may also be interested in
Members of the Centre for Sustainable Planning and Environments (SPE)
Members of the Centre for Sustainable Planning and Environments (SPE).
Publications from the Centre for Sustainable Planning and Environments
Research publications from the Centre for Sustainable Planning and Environments (SPE)