Find on-campus sanctuary spaces for prayer, meditation, reflection and quiet.
There are sanctuary spaces available for staff and students of all faiths and none to use on a drop-in basis on all UWE Bristol campuses.
The Octagon is a sanctuary space for staff and students where you can relax, read and meet friends. The building is located on Frenchay Campus in between D Block and E Block.
Monday to Friday 08:30-17:00
- Sanctuary and Quiet Room (2OCT003) – a medium-sized, private, sanctuary space for prayer, meditation, reflection and quiet, with limited furniture to maximise floor space, adjustable lighting and a selection of yoga mats, meditation cushions and multi-faith prayer books.
- Reflection Room (2OCT010) – a small, private, sanctuary space for prayer, meditation, reflection, quiet, and one-to-one chaplaincy appointments.
- Main Lounge (2OCT001) – a large open plan space for social gatherings with sofas, bean bags, a piano and selection of books and games
- PGR and Staff Lounge (2OCT002) – a medium-sized, private lounge space for Postgraduate Research (PGR) students and staff to use for network meetings or a quiet place to eat lunch
Muslim Prayer Rooms
24hr (swipe access)
- 3E041 and 3E043 (Brothers) –Dedicated rooms for Muslim students and staff with washing facilities, prayer mats and a selection of prayer books.
- 3E044A and 3E044B (Sisters) –Dedicated rooms for Muslim students and staff with washing facilities, prayer mats and coverings, and a selection of prayer books.
Dartington Suite, The Farmhouse (Brothers and Sisters)
Friday Prayers are held in the Dartington Suite, with dedicated washing facilities and provision that allows both brothers and sisters to participate.
Monday to Friday 08:00-21:00
- Sanctuary Space (1H013 and 1H013B) – sanctuary spaces for reflection, prayer, meditation and quiet with bean bags, yoga mats and a selection of prayer books.
Bower Ashton Campus
Monday to Friday 08:00-21:00
- 0B005 – a sanctuary space for reflection, prayer, meditation and quiet with a sofa, bean bags, yoga mats and a selection of prayer books.
Monday to Friday 08:00-20:00 (swipe access)
- 4AF028 – a sanctuary space for reflection, prayer, meditation and quiet with a sofa, bean bags, yoga mats and a selection of prayer books.
Rooms in The Octagon, Frenchay Campus can be booked Monday – Sunday, 24 hours per day, for informal meetings, gatherings, and events related to chaplaincy or wellbeing.
2OCT003 (Sanctuary and Quiet Room)
A medium sized space with limited furniture to maximise floor space, adjustable lighting and a selection of yoga mats, meditation cushions and multi-faith prayer books. This room also houses the Book of Remembrance, commemorating staff and students who passed away during their time at UWE Bristol. No food or drink if permitted to be consumed in this room. Bookings are restricted to 12:00-14:00 during business hours, so that it remains available for staff and students to drop-in at any time.
Prayer, reflection, spiritual and wellbeing activities such as meditation and yoga
2OCT010 (Reflection Room)
A small, private space with comfortable seating.
Prayer meetings, pastoral care and spiritual guidance.
2OCT001 Main Lounge
A large, open-plan room, located in the centre of The Octagon with adjustable lighting, sofas, bean bags and a piano.
Gatherings, parties, meetings and memorials.
2OCT002 (PGR and Staff Lounge)
A medium-sized, PGR and Staff only space with comfortable seating and dimmable lighting.
Staff network meetings, parties and memorials.
To find out more about our sanctuary spaces, please contact our Chaplaincy Team.
Tel: +44 (0)117 32 84142 or +44 (0)7824 460 958.
Student societies and local faith communities
There are a range of faith-based student societies and local faith communities you can connect with.Connect with others