South Gloucestershire Council and healthy urban planning
Full project title: South Gloucestershire Council and healthy urban planning
Duration: November 2014-March 2016
Funder: South Gloucestershire Council
Project Leader for SPE: Sarah Burgess
Other UWE Bristol researchers:
- Dr Laurence Carmichael
- Dr Michael Short
Research partner/collaborator: South Gloucestershire Council
UWE Bristol worked with South Gloucestershire Council to build capacity and develop leadership for healthy urban planning in the Council. The programme of work targetted specific issues for the authority and provided bespoke training and capacity building with planning, transport and public health colleagues. The programme included nine half day workshops delivered over an 18 month period. Outcomes included:
- Appreciation of the environmental determinants of health.
- Identification of the relationship between the planning of settlements and health.
- Recognition of links between planning and transportation systems with public health.
- Acknowledgement of the impact of health in the policy planning and transport policies.
- Consideration of the involvement of public health in the policies and strategies.
- Application of the information and lessons learnt from the training and support provided by the programme in attendees’ areas of work.
- Improved partnership working between Planning and Transport, and Health and Wellbeing Divisions.