About the Centre for Health and Clinical Research
The Centre’s vision is to conduct excellent research and support its broad application to benefit the health and wellbeing of individuals and society.
Achieving the vision
Our research is delivered through four clinical themes:
- ACTIoN (Assessment, Care and Treatment in Neurology);
- Emergency Care;
- MAMBO (Musculoskeletal Management, Measurement, Behaviour Change and Outcomes); and
- PROactive (Pain, Rehabilitation and Innovation).
Supported by two cross-cutting themes:
Work within all themes is underpinned by active patient and public involvement.
Our research informs national and international health policy and guidelines. Examples of our impact include:
- the measurement and self-management of fatigue in rheumatoid arthritis;
- understanding the causes of chronic pain;
- management of chronic joint pain through exercise and self-management;
- airway management during cardiopulmonary resuscitation for out-of-hospital cardiac arrest.
In addition, we are leading several multi-centre national and international projects, including:
- a national evaluation of the role of general practitioners working in Accident and Emergency departments in England;
- establishing evidence-based management of complex regional pain syndrome to improve clinical outcomes throughout the care pathway;
- a realist evaluation of effectiveness and costs of first contact physiotherapy in primary care;
- and developing and evaluating a programme for service provision in the assessment, diagnosis and support of people living with dementia within South Asian communities.
The Centre has a number of related aims that we address through our implementation plan. We aim to:
- focus on our areas of research excellence with impact, which address local, national and international health priorities and ensures long-term sustainability of the Centre;
- ensure our talented early career researchers and post graduate research students are well placed to lead future research excellence;
- make a positive contribution to the student learning experience and their employability;
- continue to build national and international collaborations to enable research excellence and facilitate impact.