Brexit information for students and applicants

What Brexit means for current and prospective students

The University will continue to monitor advice and guidance for applicants being issued by Universities UK and the UK Council for International Student Affairs. Universities UK have compiled some useful FAQs for European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA) student applicants.

Latest update

In a Student Support in England statement England's Universities Minister confirmed "Following our decision to leave the EU, EU, other EEA and Swiss nationals will no longer be eligible for home fee status, undergraduate, postgraduate and advanced learner financial support from Student Finance England for courses starting in academic year 2021/22.

"This change will also apply to Further Education funding for those aged 19+, and funding for apprenticeships. It will not affect students starting courses in academic year 2020/21, nor those EU, other EEA and Swiss nationals benefiting from Citizens’ Rights under the EU Withdrawal Agreement, EEA EFTA Separation Agreement or Swiss Citizens’ Rights Agreement respectively.

"It will also not apply to Irish nationals living in the UK and Ireland whose right to study and to access benefits and services will be preserved on a reciprocal basis for UK and Irish nationals under the Common Travel Area arrangement."

Whilst we await the publication of the regulations which will confirm all of the arrangements we believe that this means that EU nationals will pay tuition fees at the international rate.

EU nationals who are due to come to the UK after 31 December will also be subject to the immigration route in force at that time.

If you are an EU citizen and have applied for a course that commences in January 2021 we will be in contact shortly with further information.

For further information and updates

Brexit: Impact on fee status assessments

Apply to the EU Settlement Scheme (settled and pre-settled status)

Brexit FAQs

Tuition fees and student loans - new students

The UK Government has confirmed that EU nationals who start a higher education course in England in the 2020/21 academic year will remain eligible for undergraduate and postgraduate financial support, for the full duration of their course. You can find information about the announcement on the website.


If you are a UWE Bristol student due to receive an Erasmus+ grant for work or study during the 2021/22 academic year, your Erasmus+ funding will not be affected by Brexit.

Please see study abroad funding for more information.

If you are a student at an Erasmus+ partner University, you will be very welcome to join us on exchange during the 2021/22 academic year. Please refer to your home University’s Exchange Office for further details regarding the selection and nomination process. See more information about coming to UWE Bristol as an exchange student.

EU settlement scheme

Students that are EU citizens and currently in the UK are strongly advised to apply for settled or pre-settled status.

Find out more about how to apply and eligibility for the EU settlement scheme.