Your timetable in MYUWE shows your upcoming teaching and assessments.

Go to MYUWE Timetable

You can find more information on how to use your timetable on our Understanding your teaching timetable page.


Timetable data incorrect or missing

Your timetable will be available on MYUWE after the publication date and once you have started the registration process for your course. If you have no timetable after three days, or it is incorrect, use our Timetable self-help form.



You can find your iCalendar feeds by selecting the 'iCalendar' button on your MYUWE timetable. You can use this to view your timetable on your device or in an app such as Google Calendar, Microsoft Outlook, or Office 365.

There are feeds for your teaching timetable, your exam timetable or both together.

Once you have added the feed to your calendar, it will keep up to date with any changes to your timetable. However, updates depend on how often your app or device refreshes. It is your responsibility to ensure that you are always using an up-to-date timetable.

Subscribing to iCalendar

Some devices or apps give you the option to 'open' or 'save' the iCalendar feed rather than 'subscribe'. If you do this, your timetable will not refresh. You need to ensure that you 'subscribe' so that your timetable updates.

How to add the feed to your calendar


To add your feed into Outlook, follow the Microsoft guidance.

Google Calendar

To add your feed into your Google Calendar, follow the Google guidance.

iPad and iPhone

  1. In MYUWE Timetable, select the 'iCalendar' button.
  2. Under 'Export your timetable', select the button for the feed you want to add to your device.
  3. Select 'subscribe' and your calendar will be added.
  4. Enter a title, for example ‘UWE’.
  5. Select 'Add'.

Resetting your iCalendar feed

If you want to change your iCalendar address (for example, if you think someone has access to your timetable), you can reset your feed.

  1. In MYUWE Timetable, select the 'iCalendar' button.
  2. Under 'Reset your iCal feeds', select the 'Reset iCalendar URLs'.
  3. This will stop your existing iCalendar addresses from updating and you'll need to update your Calendar with the new address.

Help with MYUWE

Find the right contact for your query.

Technical help

If you:

  • have forgotten your email address, username or password
  • are getting an error message on MYUWE
  • have a question about Blackboard.

Contact the IT Service Desk on +44(0)117 32 83612 or email itonline@uwe.ac.uk. More help is also available on the IT Services web pages.

Can't log in

If you cannot access MYUWE, contact the IT Service Desk for help.

If your UWE Bristol account has recently been updated or modified (for example, you have requested a change to your email address) and you can't access MYUWE, wait 24 hours and try again.

You can access MYUWE on most PC or mobile devices. If you are having issues, make sure your browser and operating system are up to date and you have enabled cookies and JavaScript.

Staff MYUWE access

Staff cannot access the new MYUWE platform. To visit old MYUWE, use the old MYUWE link

For more help with MYUWE, see our staff guidance.

Graduate MYUWE access

You will be able to log in to MYUWE with your email address for up to 12 months after you have achieved your award. However, some information such as your personal details and your marks and awards will only be available in MYUWE for 120 days after you achieve your award or withdraw from the University.

More information can be found on our IT guidance for graduating students web page.

Timetable help

If your timetable is missing or displaying incorrect information, complete the Timetable self-help form which will then be sent to the Timetabling team.

Registration help

For help with registration, find your Registration and student record contacts.

MYUWE details help

Contact our Registration and student record contacts for questions related to:

  • Personal details like your name, title, addresses, or contact details.
  • Module enrolments, Blackboard, timetable or exam timetable.
  • Council Tax certificates or student status letters.

Marks and awards help

Contact your Student and Programme Support team if you have a query about your marks or results.

General help

If your enquiry is not related to MYUWE, you can find UWE Bristol contacts on our How to contact us page.