Datastream (only available from specific PCs)
An online international database providing a range of statistical, financial and graphical information. Covers all companies listed on the world's stock markets, plus economics datasets for over 150 countries.
Note that Datastream includes no descriptive information or commentary with the company data provided.
Access the database
Update (Friday 20 March 2020): the FBL Librarian team have created a reading list of alternative sources that you can access off-campus via Alternative sources to Bloomberg and Datastream.
- This database is only available from one PC on Level 3 of the Frenchay Library - view the Datastream PC location floor plan (PDF)
- Booking is essential and can be made at the Level 2 Enquiry Desk - contact the library to book your place or to arrange a training session with a Librarian
- Database is not included in the main library search
- Students and staff based at UK partner institutions and international partner institutions cannot use their UWE Bristol login to access this database
Database user guides
- Datastream setup - setting up Datastream for the first time
- Datastream reading list - Resources which can provide help in using the Datastream database
- Getting started (PDF)
- I/B/E/S data on Datastream (PDF) provides you with definitions of the data types available, the different methods of accessing the data, and a list of related data types. I/B/E/S data has expanded to 22,000 companies in more than 80 countries.
- Guide to the Economic key indicators (PDF) on Datastream
- Create your own time series (PDF) to use within Datastream
- Quick reference guide (PDF) to using Datastream within Excel
- Detailed guide (PDF) to using Datastream within Excel
- The help menu within Datastream provides access to the manuals and definitions used.
- The Datastream Navigator provides the codes you need. Help for the Navigator can be found under the help button when you have loaded the Navigator within Datastream.
- The Datastream Training site provides self-paced online training. You will need to enter your UWE Bristol email address to register for the training.
- Datastream Certification training is also available via the training site. This would be a useful addition to your CV. Their OnDemand training allows you to learn at your desktop at your own pace. A final assessment will prove your knowledge to peers and future employers
- Public companies listed on the world's stock markets from 1960s onwards. No private companies are covered.
- Equity indices from 1960s onwards.
- Economics datasets for over 150 countries from 1950s onwards.
- The Content Coverage guide (PDF) gives more detail about the content which if offered on Datastream.
- The Data Quality guide (PDF) looks at how Datastream maintains the quality of the data.
The 'Advance for Office' software can download the information into an Excel spreadsheet, and, as long as you have a Datastream connection, you can update the information within your spreadsheet.