Centre for Appearance Research Summer Internship Scheme
About the scheme
The Centre for Appearance Research (CAR) is looking to appoint two remote-working undergraduate summer interns. The internships will take place over June and July 2021 and successful applicants will be paid at the Intern rate of £9.50 per hour (on a monthly basis).
CAR is an internationally regarded centre of excellence for psychological and interdisciplinary research in body image, appearance, disfigurement and related studies, based at UWE Bristol. The interns will collaborate with researchers at CAR, who work across a number of projects relating to appearance, appearance-altering conditions, and body image. The interns will be involved in a range of tasks, which could include carrying out literature reviews, attending team meetings and stakeholder events, interviewing students and staff at UWE Bristol, developing campaign materials, assisting with quantitative and qualitative data analysis, and developing infographics, social media posts, and reports to share the findings of the projects.
- You must be a current UWE Bristol student in your second, placement, or final year on an undergraduate course (e.g., BA, BSc, BArch, BEng, LLB).
- Although the Centre for Appearance Research is based in the Psychology Group within the Department of Social Sciences, we welcome applications from students on any undergraduate course within any Faculty at the university.
- Interns must have the right to work in the UK (international students are encouraged to apply).
Benefits of doing a remote internship
- An opportunity to learn transferable skills by working on a variety of projects in a research centre
- Valuable, high-quality work experience that shows initiative to prospective employers during an unprecedented period
- Developing remote ways of working, and gaining insight and knowledge
- A competitive advantage in the job market
- The challenge of applying knowledge gained during your studies
- An opportunity to broaden your career options through experiencing work in a sector that may not be directly related to your degree
What are we looking for in applicants?
We are looking for applicants who:
- are able to use Microsoft Office tools including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook
- are willing to undertake literature and web searches, with support from staff at the centre, to produce literature reviews and help to inform project development
- will actively participate as a member of the research team, including working across different projects and attending team meetings
- have an interest in appearance psychology (eg body image, appearance-altering conditions) and research
- have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- have good organisational and time-management skills, with attention to detail and accuracy
- have the ability to work independently and as part of a team
- have an awareness of effective data management and secure storage systems in line with University standards.
Applying for an internship
To apply for one of the internships, please send a CV, covering letter, and a short letter of recommendation from a previous employer or university lecturer/tutor to Latika.Ahuja@uwe.ac.uk with the title ‘CAR Summer Internship Application’.
The deadline for applications is Monday 31 May 2021 at 23:50 (GMT).
Interviews will be held remotely on Tuesday 8 June 2021.
In your covering letter, please ensure that you address the following:
- why you are interested in applying for the internship
- what knowledge and skills you feel you could bring to the centre if you were accepted onto the scheme.
Advice about remote internships
There are many resources you can refer to for more advice about remote internships. Here’s a small selection:
- Handshake’s guide for making the most of a remote internship
- Top Universities 'everything you need to know about remote internships’ guide
- Virtual Internship’s guide for success in a remote internship
We are a diverse team working alongside international staff members that are committed to employing people who will bring difference in background, approach, identity and experiences.