Discounted train travel
20% off GWR Advance Purchase tickets to Awards Ceremonies
You could get cheaper rail travel to an Awards Ceremony if you book your journey in advance.
Great Western Railway (GWR) is offering a 20% discount on GWR Advance Purchase tickets for journeys to Bristol Temple Meads or Bristol Parkway. Please note: The offer does not apply to short-distance journeys.
Please read the terms and conditions carefully before you purchase any tickets.
Terms and conditions of the offer
- The GWR travel offer is only available for travel on GWR services to attend a UWE Bristol Awards Ceremony. If travelling from or within a region of the country that is not part of the GWR network, you may need to purchase separate tickets to the chosen destination.
- Bristol Temple Meads or Bristol Parkway must be selected as the destination when booking to attend a UWE Bristol Awards Ceremony.
- The origin of your journey must be within the GWR network – please note that Advance Purchase tickets are not available for short-distance journeys.
- The scheme is only available for use with Advance Purchase tickets. These set times and dates of travel and are non-exchangeable and non-refundable.
- The GWR travel offer is available for the dates provided by each university and the week that the Awards Ceremony takes place (a window of travel running from Saturday to the next Sunday). So you can stay afterwards for more than a day to get a feel for the city. Please note: with this offer, the latest date you can make your outward journey to Bristol Temple Meads or Bristol Parkway is on the day of the event itself – if you want you can arrive a few days before the event and leave a few days after, but you cannot use the offer to make your outward journey to Bristol after the Awards Ceremony.
- The scheme is combinable with the 16–25 Railcard, which is also available to mature students and increases the discount to 50%. Simply tick the box on the page by ‘Passengers’ and select from the drop-down box.
- The booking link is unique to UWE Bristol and cannot be used for destinations other than specified.
Definition of terms
What is an ‘Advanced Purchase Ticket’?
‘Advance Purchase’ refers to a ticket that can be purchased up to 18:00 the day before travel, subject to availability. Once purchased, it is non-flexible (ie unable to change times or dates travel) and non-refundable.
I cannot see the discounted fare
Advance Purchase for student fares is denoted by a small cross against the ticket price. If there is no red cross shown, then the Advance purchase fare for that day may have sold out. Once the discounted fare has been chosen an asterisk (*) will be displayed underneath the fares section.
The link to the booking page does not work. Where can I get assistance?
You may need to update your internet browser – we advise using Google Chrome or Firefox. There may be a need to clear your cookies.
I cannot see the promotional fare
Travel is only available on GWR routes, so please check that the entirety of the journey is on GWR. Please also check the booking horizon. Sales open for Advance Purchase 11 weeks before travel.
I still cannot see or book the student discount fare
Please call the GWR call centre for advice on 0345 700 0125. Select options two, then two again.