Everything you need to know about a short-term study visa

The short-term study visa was introduced in April 2015 and replaced the ‘Student Visitor Visa’ category.

Who is it for?

Students who need to consider this visa route are usually:

  • on a short course, like an English Language course
  • taking distance-learning modules
  • taking a re-sit exam – so it's not possible for us to issue a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).

Where to apply for a short-term study visa

Non-visa nationals

Non-visa nationals are able to apply for the visa at the point of entry to the UK. Please see Arriving in the UK for important information about the use of eGates.

Visa nationals

Visa nationals must apply for entry clearance as a short-term student before you travel to the UK.

Supporting documents required

View the supporting documents that must be provided with the short-term study visa application You will need to provide a letter from UWE Bristol confirming that you have an unconditional offer of study.

Under 18s

If you are under 18 years of age there are additional requirements that you must meet. See supporting documents for details.

Conditions of short-term study visa

The conditions of the short-term study visa are the same regardless of where the visa application is made. They are listed on the UK Council for International Student Affairs website.

Short-term students' dependants (bringing your family)

Unfortunately, there is no dependant visa category for short-term students, so it is not possible for short-term students to bring dependants with them to the UK. So if your partner or children wish to join you, they will need to apply for a visa independently. View more about short-term student dependents on the UKCISA website.