This information specifically relates to the full-time Occupational Therapy Degree programme. If you are supporting an Occupational Therapy Apprentice on the Apprenticeship programme please visit our Occupational Therapy Degree Apprenticeship information.
Curriculum 2021 for new first years
The Occupational Therapy programme was successfully reapproved by the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) and Royal College of Occupational Therapists (RCOT) in 2021. As a result, first years starting in September 2021 will be on a new curriculum 2021 whilst our second and third years will continue on curriculum 2015. There have been some changes to placement procedures and paper work so do ensure you know which curriculum your student is on to ensure you use the correct paper work.
We continue to work towards recovering placements lost due to coronavirus and are really grateful to our colleagues in practice for your on-going support and creativity in ensuring the next generation of occupational therapists get the practice placement experience they need in order to graduate. We continue to need to be creative and we are happy to speak to you to help generate creative solutions in increase capacity, so do please get in touch with us.
Academic year 2021/22
Occupational Therapy placement dates for all cohorts are below:
Please do mindful that our students are on different practice placements due to recovery placements as a result of the pandemic.
- 27 September to 10 December 2021
The 2019 cohort are on Occupational Therapy Practice 3 (OTP3) for 11 weeks.
- 4 October to 10 December 2021
The 2019 cohort are on recovery placement Occupational Therapy Practice 2 (OTP2) for ten weeks.
- 17 January to 25 March 2022
The 2020 cohort are on Occupational Therapy Practice 2 (OTP1) for ten weeks (trailing a placement due to COVID-19).
- 11 May to 9 July 2022
The 2021 cohort are on Occupational Therapy Practice 1 (OTP1) for nine weeks. This cohort will be on curriculum 2021 and following the new placement paperwork.
- 6 June to 19 August 2022
- The 2019 cohort are on Covid Recovery Occupational Therapy Practice 3 (OTP3) placement for 11 weeks.
Offering a placement
Claire Cresswell and/or Mandy Turner (job share) will contact your local placement coordinators regularly to request placement offers. Alternatively, if you are able to offer a placement for any of the dates listed above then please email Claire at email@example.com and/or Mandy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Practice Educator briefing booking form 2021/22 (DOC): As a minimum requirement, all practice educators are expected to attend a briefing prior to taking a student.
Curriculum 2015 (cohorts 2020 and 2019 - second and third years)
- Practice Educator brief guide – curriculum 2015 – 2019/20 (PDF): Essential information for practice educators
- Professional practice portfolio (PDF): Detailed information about all aspects of placement
- Practice Educator comprehensive guide – curriculum 2015 (PDF): Information about the Occupational Therapy programme
- Placement competencies – all levels (DOC): The learning outcomes students will need to achieve on each placement
- Placement tutorial support information (DOC): support available for students and practice educators during placements
- Failure protocol (DOC): Information about what to do if you have concerns about your student's performance on placement
Templates and exemplars
- Learning contract for curriculum 2015 (DOC)
- Final report for curriculum 2015 (DOC)
- Placement hours record (DOC)
- Learning contract exemplar – year one (DOC)
- Learning contract exemplar – year two (DOC)
- Learning contract exemplar – year three (DOC)
- Supervision preparation and recording form (DOC)
- Placement profile template (ARC Pep) (DOC)
- Guidance for students with specific learning difficulties (DOC): Advice for students and practice educators about managing dyslexia and other specific learning difficulties whilst on practice placement
- Visit the BSc(Hons) Occupational Therapy course listing for an overview of the programme and learning outcomes.
- For an outline of the quality assurance process providing monitoring and service enhancement on practice placements, download the quality assurance guide (DOC).
Placement liaison information
For effective communication and support, each placement area will have an allocated placement liaison link on the academic team. We aim to meet each placement area annually to discuss developments, placement-related information and review audit information.
All audits and placement environment profiles are online. If you have questions or issues to discuss, do contact your liaison link.
Placement liaison contacts are:
- Becky Barnes at Becky.Barnes@uwe.ac.uk
- Fiona Ingleby at Fiona2.Ingleby@uwe.ac.uk
- Karen Cook at Karen.Cook@uwe.ac.uk
- Laura Quick at Laura.Quick@uwe.ac.uk
- Lynda Hughes at Lynda.Hughes@uwe.ac.uk
- Nadine McCootie at Nadine.Mccootie@uwe.ac.uk
- Vanessa Parmenter at Vanessa2.Parmenter@uwe.ac.uk
If you are unsure who the link person for your area is, please contact Karen Cook or Becky Barnes.
If you have any queries or questions about the Occupational Therapy programme or require support, please contact a member of the programme support team.
- Academic Placement Lead, Placement Liaison and Coordinator
- Email: Karen.Cook@uwe.ac.uk
- Tel: +44 (0)117 32 87292
- Senior Lecturer, Placement Liaison and Coordinator
- Email: Fiona2.Ingleby@uwe.ac.uk
- Tel: +44 (0)117 32 88770
- Senior Lecturer, Placement Liaison and Coordinator
- Email: Lynda.Hughes@uwe.ac.uk
- Tel: +44 (0)117 32 84951
- Apprenticeship Programme Lead, Placement Liaison
- Email: Vanessa2.Parmenter@uwe.ac.uk
- Tel: +44 (0)117 32 88869
- Senior Lecturer (Placement Educator Briefings)
- Email: Alice.Hortop@uwe.ac.uk
- Tel: +44 (0)117 32 88588