Benefits and services
We outline some great reasons to get involved with the UWE Alumni network.
Guest access to databases
UWE is passionate about widening participation and community engagement. That’s why we’re piloting a service to enable members of the public and students and staff from local schools and colleges to access a selection of online databases. The databases typically contain journal articles and/or statistical datasets.
Guest access to databases is available from dedicated computers in Frenchay and Glenside campus libraries. Access to the computers may be limited in busy times and is only permitted during staffed opening hours.
What databases are available?
We recommend that you check what databases are available for guest access before you visit the library as not all database providers permit use of their databases by members of the public.
For more information, including how to register to use the service, please visit the UWE Bristol Library web pages.
15% discount on postgraduate courses
We are delighted to offer UWE alumni a 15% discount on many of our full-time and part-time postgraduate courses starting in the 2013/14 academic year.
UWE Careers services
Left UWE less than three years ago?
Alumni can take advantage of a wide range of services offered by UWE Careers (free of charge) for up to 3 years after graduation. You can:
- Use our extensive web resources to find information and advice about: CVs and covering letters; applications and interviews; case studies; further study; specific occupations; career options; overseas opportunities and much more.
- Log-in to UWE infoHub to view graduate vacancies, news, events and additional resources to help with your vacancy search.
- View a range of appointments and drop ins.
- Use our Employability and Enterprise Zone on Frenchay campus, centrally located in 2D11 by the entrance to the Library and Core 24.
- Come to our careers events
Contact UWE Careers for more information
Left UWE more than three years ago?
- You can use our extensive web resources to find information and advice about: CVs and covering letters; applications and interviews; case studies; further study; specific occupations; career options; overseas opportunities and much more.
- UWE Alumni are eligible for 50% discount from our career coaching service UWE Careers ProfessionalPlus.
Other careers services available include:
Alumni book discount
Alumni can claim 25% off a copy of William Evans' lively new chronicle of the History of UWE.
Use our networking service to learn about different careers from the perspective of UWE Alumni, develop contacts within specific industries and discover new job opportunities.
Take advantage of discounts on selected UWE short courses from Bristol Business School, the School of Creative Arts and the Bristol Institute of Technology.
As a former UWE student, you are entitled to discounts on short courses offered by:
- Department of Creative Industries - The Department offers discounts to UWE alumni on selected evening classes, Saturday workshops and summer schools. Classes are available in a variety of areas including Photography, Adobe PhotoShop and Enamelling. For more information, go to the Creative Industries Department website.
- Department of Engineering, Design and Mathematics -The Department offers a 20% discount to UWE alumni on SPSS and Applied Statistics short courses. For more information, go to the Department of Engineering, Design and Mathematics website.
- Bristol Business School - The Business School is offering a 20% discount to UWE alumni on selected short courses. Classes are available in a variety of areas including Leadership, Managing People, Personal Development, Public Sector and Not for Profit. For more information, go to the Bristol Business School website.
- PRINCE2® e-learning course - PRINCE2® is a pre-requisite for over 60 per cent of all Project Management jobs advertised in the UK and over 600,000 people worldwide have taken the PRINCE2® exams. (Source ILX Group August 2009).
The PRINCE2® e-learning course from ILX Group is accessed via a portal and allows the required learning, about 25 hours, to be done at a time and pace to suit you. The official manual, tutor support by telephone/e-mail and exam fees are included. For more information visit the course page. Discounted price: £678.
Support for business start-ups
Learn more about the ways that UWE can support, fund and help your new business, as well as, gaining further information about joining an enterprise network here.
Does your company have part-time, casual or temporary vacancies? Use UWESU Jobshop to advertise your vacancies to current UWE students.
NEW! From January 2013, the subscription fee for alumni to join the Library is ending and all alumni will benefit from UWE Library facilities and borrowing books FREE of charge.
UWE alumni are entitled to borrow up to five books at a time and make 2 reservations free of charge. Alumni are now able to join as members for FREE.
Former students and staff are also able to have guest user access to some of UWE's e-resources. At present this is only available at Glenside and Frenchay but hopefully all campuses will be involved very soon. More information on guest access is available from the Library web pages.
Please note that due to the university’s licensing agreements, alumni are unable to borrow audio-visual materials and short-loan items.
To take advantage of the library borrowing entitlement, simply show proof of your alumni status (either your alumni membership card or a letter from the Alumni Office) at the Library.
UWE Centre for Sport
Use our brand new fitness suite and take advantage of state-of-the-art training machines, free weights, expert advice from fitness instructors and exercise classes. Membership discounts are available for alumni.
To join, simply show proof of your alumni status (either your alumni membership card or a letter from the Alumni Office) at the Recreation Centre.
Students' Union clubs and societies
Want to stay involved in your favourite club or society after you graduate? UWE alumni can join UWESU clubs or societies (except the Sub Aqua club) for only 1.5 times the student membership fee.
Advertise your vacancies to UWE graduates
Advertise jobs, placements, work experience, internships and volunteering opportunities for students and graduates with our free online system, UWE infoHub. Graduate jobs registered at UWE are also shared with other universities in the South West of England. For more information, visit the Recruitment Services webpage.